Smartphone & iPhone Video Shooting Tips
You can shoot smart phone video that’s aiiiiiight or you can shoot smart phone video that’s pretty damn good. We want to edit the pretty damn good stuff. The talented people over at Wistia created this awesome video that shows you how. Most of it applies to not only iPhone but all smartphones. Watch and learn!
If you’re short on time, here’s what you need to know:
- Shoot horizontal! NOT vertical. Never. Never ever.
- Use a Tripod. Here’s a good (and cheap!) one.
- Don’t use the iPhone zoom. Physically walk close to the subject your shooting.
- Light your video. If you’re shooting in natural light, that’s great. If not, look into getting a cheap lighting kit for trickier environments. Check out more of our resources on MacGyvering a lighting kit.
- Use the exposure lock.
- You can use a simple voice memo on your phone or external microphone to capture audio but get your microphone close to the subject. ALSO: clap once at the start of each take (with your hands in the shot) so we at EditMate can line up the audio and the video perfectly. Audio is super important, so here are some more of our audio-related tips and tricks.
- Need a wide shot? Get a clip on lens adapter, like this one.
- Slow motion is cool, but only when appropriate.
After you’ve got all your footage… fill out a Start a Project form and upload it to us. We can take care of the rest for you!
Share the knowledge: