Smartphone & iPhone Video Shooting Tips
It’s easier than ever to shoot beautiful, vivid videos on your phone and knowing basic tips and tricks can elevate your videos even higher.
Here are the 8 things you need to know to shoot awesome videos with your phone:
1. Shoot horizontal! Not vertical. At EditMate, we do make vertical videos for brands (we love short, 15 second teasers for InstaStories) but if you’re planning on uploading your video to the usual spots (YouTube, Vimeo) — keep it horizontal to fill up the whole frame.
2. Use a Tripod.
3. Don’t use the zoom. Physically walk closer to the subject your shooting.
4. Light your video. If you’re shooting in natural light, you’re all set. If not, look into getting a cheap lighting kit for trickier environments. Check out more of our resources on MacGyvering a lighting kit HERE.
5. Use the exposure lock.
6. To capture audio, use a simple voice memo on your phone and/or an external microphone but always make sure to get your microphone as close as you can to the subject. Additionally, clap once at the start of each take (with your hands in the shot) so your editor at EditMate can line up the audio and the video perfectly. Audio is super important, so here are some more of our audio-related tips and tricks.
7. Need a wide shot? Get a clip on lens adapter, like this one.
8. Slow motion is cool, but only when appropriate.
Pass these tips onto your Mobile Film Crew and crowdsource user generated content for your brand’s next video!
P.S. If you found this helpful, you might like our post on 5 Tips for Shooting a Video with an iPhone.